The purpose of the organisation is to achieve greater unity and solidarity amongst the peoples of Africa by coordinating and consolidating the Diaspora, thereby facilitating the engagement between the African Union and its peoples of African descent within the Sixth Region of the Union.
To realize this Purpose the organisation will:
- Participate in the establishment of African Diaspora constituencies and further facilitate the collective engagement of the various constituencies of the African Diaspora as established by the African Union Representational Mission to the USA.
- Host conferences and act as a primary venue for both African leaders and Diaspora civil society to convene with each other.
- Support the creation and implementation of Diaspora focused initiatives that will further augment and advance the achievement of the “Aspirations” of the AU Agenda 2063.
- Engage in the proactive and concerted mobilization of the Diaspora.
- Promote the protection of the African Diaspora and the right of the Organisation to seek intervention from the Union pursuant to a decision by the General Conference in respect of grave circumstances, namely: war crimes, genocide, and crimes against humanity.